Monday, October 8, 2012

Oktoberfest in the Land of Forbidden Drink

How's that for a catchy title? Another big week here in Doha that has included accessing my freedom, travel planning, a proper Oktoberfest experience, exploring a man made island, and reflections on what it means to be American in an international context.

In the never ending transition that is getting settled in Doha, I finally received my multiple exit permit this week. This will allow me to travel freely from the country and has prompted me to start looking for travel adventures. We have a week long holiday coming up at the end of October for Eid. Since there are SO many places in the region that I want to travel to, it is hard to choose. I am looking at Jordan, Lebanon, and the UAE for starters but will hopefully have more concrete plans by next week. Next up in the transition is the driver's license and car, which will be taken care of this week, Inshallah (translation: God Willing).

This past weekend was a pretty packed with social events. The Inter Continental Hotel hosted an authentic Oktoberfest experience which I attended both on Wednesday and Friday. The event was complete with a HUGE tent, long communal tables, massive beer glasses, a band flown in from Germany, beer from Munich, and all you can eat of the finest German cuisine. The irony of having an event like this is a country where alcohol is not part of the culture was not lost on me. During the event I was flooded back with memories of the Notsoberfest events that were held back at JMU, particularly when the band did a LIVE version of the Chicken Dance. Overall the event was a blast and I was glad I went both nights. In between Oktoberfesting I was able to meet some new friends at a house party and explored a new part of Doha known as the Pearl.











The Pearl is a massive man made island that is just outside of downtown Doha. It is made up of 62 towers that have apartments, high end shops, restaurants, and beaches. I went to one of the local beaches with some friends which had an great view of the Doha skyline. Being in the Pearl truly felt like being in another world. It was amazing to think that it was built from nothing and this aerial view I found still makes it hard to comprehend.

To finish up the weekend I was invited to have dinner at a colleague from Cornell's home. She invited a group of us over for an "international night" in which each person would cook a specific food that reflected their culture. In the room there was representation from Egypt, Lebanon, Germany, Italy, Pakistan, and the US. Most of the people at the dinner were new to Doha as well and it was interesting to hear their stories. The biggest take away of the night came from the "game" we played at the end. We basically did a version of charades as two teams competed as one team member acted out a film...all American films. I was particularly struck by this based on the incredible diversity of backgrounds in the room. I could not name for you a single Egytian film, nor Lebanese, not even Italian. And there we were, speaking in English guessing American films. It was another humbling experience and I felt incredibly privileged in that space to have my culture be understood by so many others. I could also not help but feel guilty for the way in which the U.S. does not adopt or portray other international cultures as part of its own culture. Although being American has made my transition here in Doha easier, as many others are very aware of my culture and language, it has also made it challenging for me to feel comfortable with my own lack of knowledge of so many of the cultures I am encountering here.

On a lighter note, I have been starting to find some really solid pick up basketball games. The Achilles has been holding up as well and I am hoping to join a league or two in the upcoming weeks.

As always thanks to everyone who continues to check in. Missed my parents' final family weekend with my brother as well as Virgin FreeFest this past weekend. Look forward to hearing from everyone this week. Talk soon.

1 comment: