Saturday, October 31, 2015

Why I Mo.



Movember. The time each year that brings men from all across the world together under one unifying symbol, the mustache. Now Movember aside, mustaches are quite fashionable right now. Just go on to pinterest and search the word “mustache”. No but seriously, it is really entertaining. You will find mustache necklaces, bowties, stuffed animals, and comforter sets! Who buys that kind of thing? Playing off this trend I think it is easy to dismiss the Movember initiative as just an excuse for men to grow silly facial hair but it is so much more. 



The Movember Foundation is a global charity committed to men living happier, healthier, longer lives. Since 2003, millions have joined the men’s health movement, raising $650 million and funding over 1,000 programs focusing on prostate cancer, testicular cancer, poor mental health and physical inactivity. Movember has a goal of changing the face of men’s health one conversation at a time. In 2014 over 700,000 people participated in Movember, a number that continues to grow each year.

In full disclosure, the first year I did Movember I just wanted to grow a mustache. I didn’t know much about the organization, I thought mustaches were cool, so I figured I would give it a shot. During that first year I learned more about the organization, what it was trying to accomplish, and started to uncover ways I could help change the face of men’s health. 

As I enter my 6th year of participating in Movember, my love for this organization continues to grow. I often get the question why I participate in Movember, and it is something I have been giving a lot of thought to this year. So as a kick off to another Movember season, here is Why I Mo.

I Mo because Men’s health affects us all. I Mo because Men don’t look after their health. 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. 1 in 3 men are obese. 1 in 4 men will have a mental health issue each year. I Mo because Men need to step up. We need to take a more active role in society, in making the world a happy, healthier place. I Mo because I believe in the Movember organization, the programs it supports, and the message behind the initiative. To change the face of Men’s health. So during this Movember season I encourage you not to laugh at the ‘stache but to ask my fellow Mo Bros and Mo Sistas the same question. Why do you Mo?


If you want to get involved there are many ways. Here are just a few:

No comments:

Post a Comment