Sunday, March 6, 2016

We Are Leaders @ Qatar



This past week was Spring Break here in Education City. Over the years I have had the privilege to travel to Nepal and Tanzania but this year the focus was on Qatar. All across Qatar schools look internationally to run outdoor leadership programs but never within our own country. This year we created a program called We Are Leaders @ Qatar which gave students the opportunity to spend six days and five nights in the desert working on personal and team development. As with any firs time programs, there were some bumps along the way but I can truly say this was one of the best programs I have had the chance to run in my time here. 

Over the course of the six days students completed many challenges that included rock climbing, long treks, mountain biking, and a business simulation. The program also had a lot of firsts for students. First time cooking for themselves, first time putting up a tent, first time walking 10km, and even first time cleaning a toilet. It was amazing to see from day one the learning that took place and I think it was an experience that no one will forget.  



For me personally the program came at a time when I was feeling quite low on my work responsibilities in Qatar. I won’t go into it in full but I was stuck in a negative cycle of emotions that WALQ helped me to break out of. In my time in Qatar I have been able to develop and deliver some amazing programs but WALQ will always hold a special place in my heart. I want to thank Red Rock International who helped deliver the program and all of the students for being outstanding over the course of the week. Video and photos coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment