Thursday, September 3, 2015

Doha-Versaries!

“Dear Mr. Evan Donald Witt, On behalf of Qatar Foundation, the HR Directorate congratulates you for completing 3 years of service. We thank you for your contribution to the success of the Foundation. Best wishes, HR Directorate.”

This is the message I woke up to in my inbox this week. 3 years. It is incredible to think that I have been calling Doha home for three years now. It is even more incredible to think about how much I have changed and learned during this time. To celebrate my three year Doha-versary I want to share a few lessons that I have learned. In no particular order, with many other lessons left out…

You Don’t Know What You Don’t Know. From the moment I moved to Doha my learning curve has been steep. It is amazing looking back on the day arrived thinking I had some idea of what was going on. I quickly learned that I knew nothing (had a lot in common with Jon Snow) and have spent the last three years continuing to learn more things I did not know. The irony in all of this is we consistently think that we know it all or that our opinions are quite well informed. The world is an endlessly complex place, with more information to take in than humanly possible. Be humble, ask questions, be willing to learn.

Don’t Judge. This is the most oversimplified statement in this post, but I think the most important one. It is important to know that your way is not “right” it is simply your way. Working in such a diverse place has shown me there are no “right” or “wrong” ways to get things done, just preferences. Too often people are quick to pass judgment and ask “How can they think that?!” In reality, the person you are asking about is thinking the same way. There are times when this is infuriating; there are times when you genuinely cannot understand the other’s person’s perspective. In these times, be humble, ask questions, be willing to learn.

Humans are Fascinating. I see Doha as one big social experiment or a really warped reality television show. Let’s take people from all over the world, move them to the desert, and completely change their life circumstances to see how they react. When I look around at many of the western expats that live here it is like they have won the lottery. Before coming to Doha they may have lived a modest life and now they take business class flights, drive fancy cars, and dine at the finest restaurants. I have been so intrigued to see how this new “normal” takes over people as they develop a sense of entitlement. Qatar is a country that offers incredible opportunities for many people (not all, but I won’t get into our migrant worker record here) but this should not be taken for granted. When you look around at what you have it is important to appreciate it and be thankful as opposed to critical and bitter. Never forget where you came from and be humble, ask questions, and be willing to learn.
I could continue on here for quite some time but I think you get the idea. I have learned quite a bit, 
grown as a person, and like to think I am all the better for it. I love Qatar as a country more than most people I have met here. That being said I believe it is a difficult place to live full of ups and downs. As I look to my fourth year I am eager for what lies ahead, thankful for what is behind me, and will continue to remind myself of the simple statements. Be humble. Ask questions. Be willing to learn. Cheers to year four!

No comments:

Post a Comment